Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) among Garments Factory workers:
IACIB has been conducting the project entitled “Better Sexual and Reporductive Health and Rights for Young People Affected by HIV (Link Up)” in two thanas (Savar Main & Ashulia) in Savar Upazila under Dhaka North since December 2013 and one project in Malibag – Tejgaon under Dhaka south since April 2014 in cooperation with HASAB and Marie Stopes Bangladesh (MSB). These projects are funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In fact, the Link Up Project (LUP) is an ambitious programme spanning five countries (Bangladesh, Myanmar, Burundi, Ethiopia and Uganda) that will reach 1,129,250 young people to improve their sexual and reproductive health. Under these projects IACIB will reach a total of 61500 in Dhaka North and 61500 Garments Factory Workers in Dhaka South. Both the projects include Gazipur and Narayangonj also.
To contribute to reduce unintended pregnancies, HIV transmission and HIV-related maternal mortality amongst young people affected by HIV (aged 10-24)
To increase the health seeking behavior and uptake of quality integrated maternal health, family planning and HIV information, services and commodities amongst young people affected by HIV and uphold their sexual and reproductive rights.
- Young people aged (10-24) are better informed and empowered to make healthier choice in relation to their sexual reproductive health and rights.
- Increase access to integrated HIV/SRHR services, anti-retroviral drugs, contraceptives and other commodities.
- Develop capacity of public, private and civil society based organization for quality service on sexual reproductive health and rights.
- Incorporate policies for recognizing SRHR law’s aiming young beneficiaries aged (10-24).
- 1. Non-Clinical Activities
Non-clinical services are being conducted by the project staff of IACIB and these services are as follows:
- Making MoU with the garment factories
- Conduct start up advocacy meeting
- Collect mother list of the factory workers
- Conduct baseline and end-line survey (pre KAP & post KAP)
- Entry data into the SyrEx software
- Select and develop Peer Educators
- Establish Young Population Platformk (YPP) at district level & divisional level
- Provide health education through sessions (one to one and group)
- Establish link up point for clinical serves at garment factories
- Distribute BCC/IEC materials
- Conduct advocacy meeting with the BGMEA/BKMEA/GoB/other stakeholders
- Conduct case studies
- Conduct supervision, monitoring & documentation
- Prepare periodical reports (programmatic & financial)
- 2. Clinical Activities
Clinical activities are being conducted by the link up the medical team from Marie Stopes Bangladesh (male medical team -1 & female medical team-1) consisting of one doctor, one paramedic and one counselor. In fact, the direct services are being conducted by the link up the medical team at the satellite sessions established at the different garments. On the contrary, referral services are being conducted by the outside health facilities (Filaria & General Hospital, Private Clincs & Upazla Health Complex)
Health Education: The Link up Peer Educator is delivering health education among the garments workers.
Meeting with HASAB & International HIV/AIDS Alliance:
The high officials from HASAB and International HIV/AIDS Alliance visited IACIB on January 21, 2014 for observing the project activities.
As a part of the project activities the visitors also visited the CPM Composite Knit (Pvt) Ltd, one of the selected garments of Link up Project. They also met the factory authorities. In addition visitors from the International HIV/AIDS Alliance also visited Savar Filaria & General Hospital and SRHR activities.
Moreover; the visitors of Global Partners are enjoying the Group Session among RMG workers by the Peer Educators at Savar.
International Women’s Day 2014:
The Link Up Project – IACIB observed the International Women’s Day on 8th March 2014. The theme of International Women’s Day 2014 is inspiring change. The Link up Project-IACIB organized Rally and Discussion Meeting at Filaria and General Hospital conference room on the occasion of Celebration of International Women’s Day -2014. Garments Factory Workers, Bede, House wives , formal – informal leaders, teachers attended the discussion meeting.
SRHR services among Bede community:
IACIB has been providing Free Healthcare Services including SRHR services to the Bede community at Savar through the weekly Mobile Health Camp with support from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Though the Bede community is very much vulnerable and stigmatized yet the healthcare support needs to be continued.