Filariasis Elimination Program
||Only IACIB has been working on Filariasis Elimination in Bangladesh as per WHO guide line from 1998 at Nilphamari district and Dhaka district.
- IACIB successfully completed 3 pilot projects with grant from Ministry of Science and Technology, GoB which includes mass drug treatment in Nilfamari District and 1 project in slum area of Dhaka city.
- One project was completed on Elimination of Filariasis with grant from Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), Canadian High Commission in Syedpur Upazilla under Nilfamari District of Bangladesh since 1999. In fact Canadian CIDA is the first donor organization in Bangladesh who came forward for support for this neglected disease and supported the IACIB to under take pilot project on filariasis elimination.
- One Filaria Hospital was established in 2002 at Syedpur under Nilphamari District with grant from The Embassy of Japan and the Hospital has been expanded further in 2009 with support from Govt. of Japan and also with support from Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- IACIB has been working on filariasis elimination and morbidity control along with social mobilization for control of other communicable disease as Malaria, Kala-azar, Dengue, Rabies and Vector Control in all Filaria endemic districts under Rajshahi division and filaria & Malaria co-endemic Kurigram district.
Filaria Hospital Syedpur:
The Filaria Hospital at Syedpur has started functioning from 1 January 2003. The hospital is the only specialized hospital of this kind in Bangladesh and Globally. The hospital has been providing the following services.
- Out door services
- Indoor services
- Surgery / hydrocelectomy
- Diagnostic services
- Community Home Based Morbidity Control (CHBMC) services
- Social Mobilization
- Training to GO-NGO Collaborative programs
- Filaria health club and community development program
- Satellite Clinic services
- Tobacco Control Activities
- Primary Health Care Services
- Communicable Disease Control Services
The Filaria Hospital has been providing morbidity control services to filariasis patients to reduce their sufferings. As a part of this activity the hospital has been conducting training to Government health and paramedical health staff, NGOs, Rural Medical practitioners, JOCV volunteers etc.
Summary of Statement of Indoor and out door patient attended at Filaria Hospital from January 2003 – Dec 2011 is as follows:
|Jan – Dec 2003
|Jan – Dec 2004
|Jan – Dec 2005
|Jan – Dec 2006
|Jan – Dec2007
|Jan – Dec 2008
|Jan – Dec 2009
|Jan – Dec 2010
|Jan – Dec 2011
|Jan- Dec. 2004
|Jan- Dec 2007
||IACIB has completed a project Filariasis morbidity control funded by SIMAVI is shown for social mobilization which is still continuing.
||Under AUS-AID support IACIB Started Rehabilitation Project on sewing in 2006 among divorced filaria women patients. The project was completed but the project activity (Sewing training and other program) is still continuing and need to be continued..
Sewing project for rehabilitation of
distresswomen filaria patients
Filaria Day Observation Picture
|The Hospital has been providing hydrocele / scrotal swelling operations by mobile approach with support from Ministry of Health. There is a plan to expand the hospital for establishment of a Center for Disease Control (CDC).
|JOCV members are distributing Filaria kit box to patient
||JOCV members are teaching to Filaria Patient
|Filaria Hospital at Savar Dhaka:IACIB is going to establish one 50 beded Filaria Hospital and Center for Diseases Control (CDC) at Savar Dhaka with support from Ministry of Social Welfare, GOB.There is an urgent need for support for its sustainability, gradual expansion so that the hospital can be converted gradually into a National, Regional & International Training and Research center for control of communicable diseases.